Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I know times are tough... but COME ON!

I'm currently seeking new clients. I look everywhere, I ask for referrals, I advertise and like any modern designer, I check Craig's List postings.
I can't believe how many people ask for something for free, or close to it. It's almost insulting. "Need cutting edge, top dog designer for new logo. Will look great in your portfolio. No pay."
Do they realize that
1 - it costs us money to do our jobs - we pay thousands of dollars for our computers, our software, our high end laser printers, and most of us keep up with the technology, software updates and industry standards. This is all stuff we have to pay for - why should we hand it over for free to a complete stranger? There actually are several legitimate business people out there willing to pay for good design, so I'll skip those that aren't.
2 - do they have such a low opinion of their own worth that they don't realize the worth of another's time and talents?
3 - you get what you pay for.

Please help me spread the word that no matter what you do for a living, you are worth compensation. Even non-profit organizations respect this.

No comments:

Post a Comment